Friday 12 August 2016

Friday is Gold!

I feel like it should be my motto in life that... when all else fails, go and bake a cake.  

It seems that with not much else to do and a real craving for some sweet stuff, most weekends recently are spent baking a treat or two (and as a result, one very filled tummy!)

(Here's last weekends Lotus Biscoff Bake; unfortunately the tin decided to cling to the sides of the sponge for dear life, so I refuse to show you the state of the edging!)


Today was no exception to the weekend rule of another baked goodie! Upon trying last weeks Biscoff inspired bake, my brother and his Fiancé had casually put in a request for a McVities Gold Bar style bake. Being as I am currently out of work (again), I had some time on my hands today and went all out there and attempted this for them!

I started with my standard sponge recipe, one which I use across cupcakes and cakes alike, doubling the quantities where needed:

100g Caster Sugar
100g Soft Marg
100g SR Flour 
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 egg
A splash of Milk


I opted for a small loaf tin, to gain a rectangular shape similar to those of a Gold Bar and let to cool. *Note to self* BUY BETTER TINS!






Once cooled, I prepared myself the caramel topping; I could only find American recipes online and annoyingly that meant it was all in Cup Measurements which I'm not too familiar in using but I did what I could and it worked pretty well (albeit, extremely sweet!)

I used a standard sized mug to measure my ingredients and roughly the measurements were as follows:
1/2 mug of Butter (not marg or spread!)
1 mug of Brown Caster Sugar
1/4 mug of Milk
1 tsp of Vanilla Essence
2-3 mugs of Icing Sugar

Melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat.

Once melted add the sugar and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently.

Boil for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.

Add the milk and whisk, (I used an electric metal whisk) until smooth.

Add Vanilla Essence and whisk again.

Finally and gradually add the icing sugar until you're happy with the consistency, I used just over 2 mugfuls and it was still a little too runny so I could probably have done with a little more; but note that it should be of pouring consistency!

You will need to work with the mixture quickly, as it does start to set fairly soon after preparation. As you can see, mine was very runny and rolled over the sides of the cake and onto the plate but I left it to set in the fridge and then removed any evidence of the messy part!
I also set my Gold Bar into the top at this stage, so it set with the caramel topping.

I have no idea how McVities get their caramel so yellow (or gold) but the flavour is pretty similar, anyhow, so I was happy!



One set, I cleaned up the messy bit, as planned and was pretty pleased with the results: 





To the perfectionists eye, this isn't the greatest looking bake in the world, especially as the edging wasn't perfect, but I think I disturbed it a little when I was cleaning up around it - oops!

I wasn't quite satisfied enough though, so I went in with some real Gold! (or at least some gold glitter sprinkles!) to top of the look:




It made the cake look so pretty, especially as it was so sunny today and glitter in sunlight, is the perfect combination. 

I'm really pleased with it, even though it's so simple. I really like the fact that the caramel almost hardened when set in the fridge and then the inner cake was so spongey and soft, in contrast. Next time i'd love to have a go at writing 'Gold' on the top myself, in some form of icing, to make it more authentic and maybe research into how to get it closer to the colour of the actual Gold Bar, but for now, I'll have my cake and eat it! 





Let me know if you try this recipe and I hope you enjoy it, if you do! 


Lots of love, hugs, kisses & special wishes
From Katy. ♡




No comments:

Post a Comment